Monday, August 4, 2008

Mommy Poo-Poo?

Lucy reading in Mommy's reading chaise lounge
We are working on potty training. It started with Lucy signing and saying Poop and then we would rush her to the toilet and she goes poop but not pee yet. Not to bad! Well This past weekend she had asked to go poo-poo a lot and then not been able to perform. So, we sit in the bathroom reading (many)books and singing songs. Lucy loves to read books and have them read to her. This potty training has increased the amount of stories per day from 20 to 40. Don't get me wrong I love that she loves reading it is just that we need a little more performance since I am 9 months prego and getting up and down is not as easy as usual.
I was beginning to think that to Lucy potty training means:
  • sit on a chair naked
  • mommy and daddy reading as many books as I want
  • singing many songs
This morning we had breakfast and then I put her on the potty. She tried but, couldn't perform. Then, I took her outside to plant mums. While outside she asked to go poo-poo 3 times and we came in, tried and no success. We go back outside and I am finishing planting my 4th mum in what has taken well over an hour (way too long) and Lucy asks to go poo-poo again! I made the huge mistake of saying we already went 4 times. She got forceful with me and yelled poo-poo in my face and so I contemplated could it be? Sure enough she started to go in her diaper! I ran her in and she did finish on the toilet but I would not consider that much of a success! Then, we get cleaned up and go back outside and Lucy says again, "Mommy Poo-poo!" And that is when I am done! "Lucy you already went poo-poo!" Sure enough she had to go some more.
I guess I don't totally know how this potty training works! I am learning patience and persistence all over again. I do feel like God is teaching me a lesson and training me rather than me training Lucy!
So, we went to Sam's Club and when we arrived home Lucy said, "Mommy poo-poo!" I brought her in and put her on the potty. We read two books and nothing. I asked her if she was done and she said, "No!" So, I let her have a little more time and she went pee-pee! I was so delighted! I cheered (once she was done), we danced, and I gave her a sticker. If this keeps up for a while I might be able to say I am a potty trained Mommy :)

3 comments:

Marc, Jaimee, Ben and Liam said...

OH TOO FUNNY! I remember that all too well! Such a cute story... one that will be fun to remember :)

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Great story. it sounds so much like our home for the last few months. Elli still likes to take her time on the potty because she too gets songs and books. Goodness. These kids do know how to work their mommies!

Rob and Carrie said...

That is so funny, Mindi!